This page is about the Repairing an AMD Geode: Part 2 video.
This video goes over the soldering work between part 1 and the future part 3 where we're back to diagnostics.
Footage was shot late March 2022, but only edited sporadically in August 2022 and Jan 2023. I really wasn't enjoying trying to write and talk over a 15 minute video where I just solder badly.
I decided in early May 2023 to scrap the voice-over and just put some music over it. This managed to get the video released.
Video explanation[edit | edit source]
I filmed this almost of the video as a continuos 6 hour session, with 4 hours being soldering. This was not a good idea. In fact, the entire video is filled with almost entirely bad ideas.
Here's a broad listing of takeaways you should have:
- Don't solder for more than an hour at a time
- Take breaks when you're frustrated
- Perform each action with a plan and stop if it fails
I failed almost all of these and instead tried to brute force through the process. Trying to continue a project that requires thought and attention after burning through those 15 minutes in did not work.
Specific mistakes in the video:
- I used too large a tip for most of it
- I removed an imperfect pad instead of soldering on to it
- I didn't use my too small pad strips as I thought running wire would be easier
- I didn't tin the copper pads I made
- I tried to use overcoat to bond pads to the board
- I wanted to use tape to hold the pads down while heating but I didn't cut it too size and lifted the new pads
- I spent way too long setting the pads and adding epoxy
- I didn't remove the wire enamel before soldering
- I didn't tape down the inductors and wires while soldering
- I went around to 'touch up' random joints without a plan
- I used the wrong iron shape to touch up the network IC joints
- I couldn't get a solder blob to flow and added braid instead, creating more thermal mass
Things I actually did well in the video:
- I cleaned up the flux mess as I went
- I fixed the VGA port
- I used nail polish to coat the exposed network IC pins
Mistakes outside of the video:
- I misplaced the SMD capacitors I was going to solder
I think I learned a lot. I felt really bad about having this video to show for it, but I think I did okay all things considered.
Overall progress[edit | edit source]
Done[edit | edit source]
- Editing: Scrubbed through and cut up all the needed footage
- Editing: Decided on scope of video
- Editing: Cut the video down to an appropriate size
- Editing: Added music and rendered
- Wiki: Video explanation
Postponed for part 3[edit | edit source]
- Clarify mistake about shunt schematic
- Clarify mistake about video schematic
- Probe ESD diodes
- Look at DAC code briefly
- Test mode
- Contact cleaner
- DAVdd measurement and fix
Scrapped[edit | edit source]
- Write script based on video segments
- Explain each attempt